The followiing matters fall under the purview of the Home and Hill Affairs Department -
- Upholding the Constitution of India
- Conduct of elections to the Legislature; matters pertaining to the Election Commission of India as well as the State Election Commission.
- Determination and maintenance of the structure, organisation and procedure of the machinery of Government.
- Control and management of Indian Police Service (including Officers of the Eastern Frontier Rifles), the West Bengal Police Service, and the Assistant Commissioners of the Kolkata Police and subordinate rank of Police Force including the issues relating
- Co-ordination of all governmental activities.
- Maintenance of the public security, peace, order and tranquillity.
- Determination of ceremonial procedure and precedence.
- Conduct of activities involving relations with foreign powers and their representatives and determination of questions of nationality.
- Promotion of social, economic, educational and cultural advancement of the people residing in the hill areas of the districts of Darjeeling and Kalimpong financing regulation and inspection of the bodies established for this purpose.
- Matters related to citizenship; documentation thereof.